Things To Do
- Jump start your conference experience and make new friends by coming to Friday’s Meet n' Greet session from 5 to 7 pm. Informal chat and games help you get immediately connected to other conference attendees.
- Celebrate at the General Session and Graduation. A highlight of the conference. “Homeschooling Simplified” by Pamela Roland. Slideshow of homeschoolers in action. Presentations by graduates and their families. (Families with graduates who want to participate in the ceremony should fill in the blank on their registration form and also either email WPA at firstname.lastname@example.org or call the WPA voice mail at 608-283-3131.)
- Share Your Photos.
We are looking for photos of homeschoolers in action; whether it’s a snapshot from your favorite field trip, a picture of a fun day exploring, or simply a candid of life at the kitchen table…we’d love to see it! We will be compiling them to show at the during the General Session and possibly in other places. Your family probably has enough pictures to do your own slideshow; but please limit this to 3 photos. Email them to email@example.com with “homeschool photos” in the subject line. The deadline for receiving pictures is March 31, 2014. We will do our best to include the pictures we receive within the presentation; however, there is no guarantee that every photo will be used. Also, by sending us your photo you are acknowledging that you agree to the following:
"WPA has my permission to include the attached photographs in a slideshow at the WPA conference, on the WPA website, on WPA's social media, and/or in printed materials WPA publishes. I understand that I will not be paid for the use of these photographs and the people in the photographs will not be identified by name and/or hometown in any of these uses."
- Participate in the Family Folk Dance, Friday evening, 8:45 to 10:30 pm. Beginning and experienced dancers of all ages welcome. Or talk with others while munching on snacks.
- Visit Connections.
Shop at the Resource Fair. Free admission only to the Resource Fair Friday evening only. This offer does not include workshops or other conference activities. For free admission, go to the second floor of Reeve Union (see map) and register at the door. Registered conference attendees with a name tag can attend the Resource Fair at no extra charge both Friday evening and all day Saturday. WPA does not endorse specific curriculums or learning materials.
Check out the “Please Touch” Curriculum Resources.
- Find out what some of those materials you’ve heard or read about are really like. Examine textbooks and other materials belonging to homeschooling families who have brought them for display.
- Materials from TOPS Science, CPO Science, Apologia Science, NOEO Science, Lightning Literature, Windows to the World, Handwriting Without Tears, Saxon Math, Singapore Math, Beast Academy Math, Art of Problem Solving Math, Math U See, several high-school science and math texts, Story of the World, Latin, Greek, and Spanish materials, and many, many more.
- Then order your own materials after the conference through the internet, stores in your area, etc.
- Loan your favorite materials for the display. Call the WPA voice mail at 608-283-3131 and ask for details.
- Buy and sell used books and learning materials.
- Exercise. Anyone 18 or older can purchase a $10 day pass to the Student Recreation and Wellness Center. Use the cardio exercise equipment; jogging/walking track; basketball, volleyball, and indoor soccer courts; golf simulators; etc. Details at recreation.uwosh.edu.
- Swim in campus pool. No charge. Friday 5 to 7 pm and Saturday 4 to 5:30 pm. Lifeguard on duty. Adult supervision required.
- Explore Oshkosh on Friday and Sunday. EAA AirVenture Museum, Oshkosh Public Museum, Payne Art Center and Gardens, Grand Opera House, and more. Fantastic Community Playground and free children's zoo. Outlet mall: Over 60 stores. Golf course next door. See "Explore Oshkosh" on the Lodging & Maps page.