Things To Do
- Jump start your conference experience and make new friends by coming to Friday’s Meet & Greet session from 4 to 6 pm. Informal conversation helps you get immediately connected to other conference attendees. There will be a special area for teens.
- Celebrate at the Opening Ceremonies and Graduation on Friday night. Hear from Larry and Susan Kaseman, from new President Pamela Roland, and from Executive Director Jen Lynch. See a slideshow of homeschoolers in action. Enjoy presentations by graduates and their families. (Families with graduates who want to participate in the ceremony should contact Jenny Landowski at OpeningCeremonies@homeschooling-wpa.org or call the WPA voice mail at 608-283-3131 by April 15, 2016)
- Attention, homeschooling seniors!! WPA would like to help you commemorate your upcoming graduation by inviting you to participate in the Graduation Ceremony on Friday night, May 6, at the 2016 WPA Conference. This is a wonderful opportunity not only for your fellow homeschoolers to support you in your accomplishments, but for you to be a role model for young homeschooling families to look to. If you are interested in this opportunity or if you have any questions, please email us at OpeningCeremonies@homeschooling-wpa.org and put “graduation” in the subject line. We look forward to hearing from you!
- Share your photos. Be part of our 2016 slideshow at the conference Opening Ceremonies. We’re looking for photos that show us what your homeschooling life looks like. Whether it’s a picture of an activity that your family enjoys doing together, a group shot of you and your fellow homeschoolers living and learning, or simply a candid of your everyday life, we’d love to see it!! Please email them to the following address, OpeningCeremonies@homeschooling-wpa.org and put “homeschool photos” in the subject line. The deadline for receiving pictures is April 1, 2016, limit 2 photos. Note: Not all pictures will be used, by sending us your photo you are acknowledging that you agree to the following:”WPA has my permission to include the attached photographs in a slide show at the WPA conference, on the WPA website, and/or in printed materials WPA publishes. I understand that I will not be paid for the use of these photographs and the people in the photographs will not be identified by name and/or hometown in any of these uses.”
- Table Talks—On Friday evening, talk one-on-one and in small groups with friendly new and experienced homeschoolers. Topics such as “What does homeschooling look like?” and “Relax, have fun, and learn.” Or go to the Q & A table and ask about anything that’s on your mind.
- Participate in the Family Folk Dance, Friday evening, 8:30 to 10:30 pm, UWO Alumni Center. Beginning and experienced dancers of all ages welcome.
- Visit Connections.
- Shop at the Resource Fair, located in the Gruenhagen Conference Center. Name tag is required for admission. WPA does not endorse specific curriculums or learning materials.
- Check out the “Please Touch” Curriculum Resources.
- Find out what some of those materials you’ve heard or read about are really like. Examine textbooks and other materials belonging to homeschooling families who have brought them for display.
- Materials from TOPS Science, CPO Science, Apologia Science, NOEO Science, Lightning Literature, Windows to the World, Handwriting Without Tears, Saxon Math, Singapore Math, Beast Academy Math, Art of Problem Solving Math, Math U See, several high-school science and math texts, Story of the World, Latin, Greek, and Spanish materials, and many, many more.
- Then order your own materials after the conference through the internet, stores in your area, etc.
- Loan your favorite materials for the display. Call the WPA voice mail at 608-283-3131 and ask for details.
- Buy and sell used books and learning materials.
- Exercise. Anyone 18 or older can purchase a $10 day pass to the Student Recreation and Wellness Center. Use the cardio exercise equipment; jogging/walking track; basketball, volleyball, and indoor soccer courts; golf simulators; etc. Details at recreation.uwosh.edu.
- Swim in campus pool. No charge. Friday 4 to 6 pm and Saturday 4 to 6 pm. Lifeguard on duty. Adult supervision required.
- Explore Oshkosh on Friday and Sunday. EAA AirVenture Museum, Oshkosh Public Museum, Payne Art Center and Gardens, Grand Opera House, and more. Fantastic Community Playground and free children’s zoo. Outlet mall: Over 60 stores. Golf course next door. See “Explore Oshkosh” on the Lodging & Maps page.